You can go onto any makeup site and find reviews for black lipstick with older, mainstreamed women being very interested and supportive of it.
But oddly, when it comes to the alternative community words like
"Spooky, young, tacky" are thrown around.
- MAC has 'Black Knight'
- Urban Decay has 'Oil Slick'
- NYX has 'Black Oynx'
- KA'OIR has 'Night'
- Yves Saint Laurent has 'Noir Laque'
- Illamsqua has 'Pristine'
- Make Up Forever has 'Satin Black'
- Stargazer has 'Jet Black'
- Anna Sui has Lip Rouge V-Vivid in 060
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics has 'Tared'
- Make Up Store has 'Black Orchid'
- Barry M has 'Black Lip Paint'
- Viva La Diva has 'Goth'
- Lime Crime has 'Styletto'
- Manic Panic has 'Raven'
- And do I even have to mention the The Portland Black Lipstick Company's 'Black'???
Types of Black Lipsticks
Creamy- A moist, balmy finish more matte than glossy but wetter than satin.
Satin- A matte, dry, even black
- Going a tad over your lip line if your lips look too small
- Going darker on the center of your lips if they look too thin
Lip Brushes? The endless battle.
You can experiment with what works for you and see what you like the best, because there is no right way to wear makeup, truly. There are flattering ways, and there are low maintenance ways, but that doesn't make the alternatives any less of an option.
Liners & Primers
Liner unfortunately, is usually a necessity. Thankfully, eyeliner plays the part perfectly, especially if you opt to wear gloss, it must exist with the liner. Black lipsticks, (especially the cheaper ones) are the runniest, smudgiest shades out there, and they need some boundaries.
To Contour or Not to Contour?
- You have a higher forehead
- You do not have a sharp chin
- You do not have high cheekbones
- You feel washed out, and not in the good way :)
P.S. A shout-out to:
- The lovely Desdemona of An Aesthetic Obsession, who recovered the Cached page of this post after its untimely demise. She does great reviews, graphic design, has gorgeous blog layouts and great taste. Go visit her!
- The sweetest Carly who had clipped the entire post for safe-keeping, and emailed it to me.
- The very kind and thoughtful VelvetBat, who sent me a document with my entire post!
I feel wonderfully blessed and loved for such helpful and kind people to be reading. A big thank-you to everyone who helped me out.
Thank you all for your comments the first time this was posted, sorry for the inconvenience of re-posting!